Sunday, September 29, 2013

From '50s drive in to 80's soft rock - a day at Disney.

So, I have moved on to sunny Florida. At first I was grateful to be warm for the first time in months, but three days in I am close to heat exhaustion and cursing the Canberra winter for making me soft.
First two days were at Universal studios.


I learned an important lesson here. Universal rides are for big kids, Disney rides are for little kids. Belinda is not a big kid. Looking at the small kiddies and grannies in the cue for the Harry Potter ride, and having had Anna tell me she thought the ride was cruisy I decided it sounded like my kind of thing. No, no, no, no, no. It was six minutes of terror. I've never had my eyes so firmly shut in all my life. Never been so terrified I was about to throw up on another human. I spent the next hour after the ride trying to stop shaking (spent the first 15 minutes sitting down because my legs were too wobbly to walk!). I thankfully found a few rides more my speed, but let's just say there isn't much point in me going to Universal studios again.

The food at the Hard Rock hotel was very much themed towards Halloween. My fav of the things I tried was the "crime scene cheesecake".


The highlight was well and truly having lunch at Krusty Burger. So awesome to step inside The Simpsons.


This morning I was up early to transfer over to Disney World. This time around I am staying at the Beach Club resort near Epcot.


The view back over the boardwalk isn't that bad...


For lunch today I went to the Sci-Fi drive in. The concept is awesome. It is done up as a '50's drive in. You sit in cars. You are seated by a parking attendant, and your bill is a parking ticket. Throughout the meal you are watching a loop of old black and white pictures. I scored and a fav of mine in terms of bad '50's Sci-Fi movies, "Robot Monster" was playing on the screen whilst I was there today. It is quite dark, so pics are not great, but hopefully you get the idea.


This week sees the start of the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival. There are 30 "international marketplaces" to visit, and each has a number of options. Initially, I was a little outraged when I wandered past the Australian marketplace. What the hell is a shrimp? If this food is Australian, it's a prawn. No discussion. I will not try this dish on the principal that I will not say the word shrimp. Add to that the fact that pavlova is actually Kiwi by origin and the Australia booth is just plain confusing...


Tonight I made it to a few of the booths. I hit up Canada for (wait for it) cheese soup! It was awesome and smokey and a little spicy.


Next up I hit the cheese booth (there is a CHEESE BOOTH!!!!) and had the blue cheese souffle with fig jam. Yummy.


I decided to visit Japan and try the Youki Tofu. Please note there are actual vegetables in that plate and I ate them.


For dessert I hit Belgium. For waffles. Of course. With berries. Yes people, fruit.


They also have the Eat to the Beat concert series. Tonight was Starship! STARSHIP! We had all the hits. We built this city, Sara and Nothings gonna stop us now.


Tomorrow I have breakfast with Cinderella and lunch with Belle and the Beast. Gonna be awesome (and pincessey).

No comments:

Post a Comment