Friday, October 4, 2013

Pumpkins, apples and The Mouse

Do you know who I think is the richest person in Florida? The person who had the genius vision to start up the company that hires those motorised scooters out to tourists who think they can do theme parks without walking a step. I have easily seen hundreds of them a day. Multiply that by four parks just at Disney, add in Universal and Sea World and I suspect there would be thousand of them hired out on a given day. Saw one of their billboards today and prices start at $25 per day. Talk about a license to print money. Wish I'd thought of that, would help soften the hatred I have of those scooters...

Monday morning started with a bang. I hit the road to the Magic Kingdom for a Royal engagement - breakfast at Cinderella's castle. It was sugar and spice and all things nice - literally.


One of the signature items on the menu is the caramel apple stuffed french toast. I can't walk past a menu item like that - though I should have. It was stuffed not only with the caramel apple pieces, but also cream cheese. I think one bite gave me my weekly recommended daily intake of sugar! The portion was thankfully small. I had many a visitor at my table including Jasmine, Aurora, Ariel and Snow White. The Princesses just added to the sugar overload.


Following breakfast I headed out to check out all the Halloween decorations.


The whole of Main St was decorated for fall.



Since I was here last they have opened the new Fantasyland, including the new Beauty and the Beast section. I had lunch at the beasts castle - where they try to replicate the magic of the dining scene in the movie. It is still a mystery to me exactly how my food found me in that giant place (yes, my food had to find me!). For dessert I had the "masters cupcake". It was chocolate cake frosted with 'the grey stuff'. You should try the grey stuff, it's delicious. Don't believe me? Asked the dishes (double points to anyone who started to sing the last two sentences).


I went on a bit of an adventure around in the afternoon and was flabbergasted as to what Americans do to apples (beyond my sugar fest breakfast). They even dress some apples up as pumpkins!


In fact they will do apples as almost anything - frogs, cars, monsters...


One of the other big changes since my last visit is that they now have a Starbucks in the Magic Kingdom. Who knew that not even the mouse was immune from having old school coffee shops turn into a Starbucks.


Tuesday I went on safari at the Animal Kingdom. I saw lions and cheetahs and elephants and zebras and giraffes and dinosaurs. Yup, dinosaurs.


At lunch I was wooed by a crazy menu item. The mac and cheese hot dog. Yes, these is a hot dog sausage under the pasta. My tummy did not feel so great that afternoon. Could be the dinosaur ride, could be the the hog dog - it may need to remain a great mystery of the universe.


Despite the self inflicted tummy ache, I hit the food and wine fest for dinner. The entertainment tonight was courtesy of the Go-Go's, featuring Belinda Carlise.


The booths that supplied dinner included Greece, Argentina, and Poland - the latter came with a sour cream 'hidden Mickey'.


For dessert - I ventured to Australia.


Coming up next - too much Halloween candy, and a 3D dessert extravaganza (a post which has to be delayed being written by at least 24 hours because the mere thought of what I ate tonight is making me feel not so great...). There will also be a surprise appearance by a tv star. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment