Monday, September 23, 2013

Three days and 64,850 steps later.

Have only been in NYC for three days and yet the pedometer (which I bought because I was fascinated by the idea of how far I could walk in one day at a Disney park) tells me I have walked 64,850 steps (which it tells me equates to 44.13 kilometers). So, it is no surprise that my feet are a teeny little bit sore.


As usual, I am here for the the shows. Saturday afternoon I saw the Rogers and Hammerstein version of Cinderella. That was followed on Saturday night with The Glass Menagerie starring Zachary Quinto and Cherry Jones. Once you get past the fact that on 24 one of them was President and the other the bad guy, you could move on to their mother/son relationship.

Sunday was a struggle to drag my sorry butt out of bed. Nope, not jet lag. Rather a room full of middle aged women from Houston in the room across the hall who decided to come home at 2am and raise hell in the hotel. Once I did drag my sleep deprived self out of bed I went to see The Trip to Bountiful. Vanessa Williams and Cicely Tyson. The evil woman from Ugly Betty and the woman we all loved in Fried Green Tomatoes. It was crazy good. I really thought that was as good as it would get, but then on Sunday night I saw a new show called First Date. Krysta Rodriguez from Smash and Zachary Levi from Chuck. I'm officially in love with the latter. It was so nice to see something that was original and not based on a movie. Helped that it was also hysterically funny. Still have four more shows to go - given what I have seen so far, I have high hopes.

Given all that walking, I have had free range on the food (that's called Belinda logic). There have been copious cupcakes (thank you Sprinkles and Magnolia bakeries). Then there was the cronut. Half croissant, half donut. They are all the rage at the moment, so I hate to say it, but after trying one, I don't understand the attraction. But I can now at least say I have tried one.


Next up I ventured to Carlo's Bake Shop. All that watching of Cake Boss made me reallllly want to try one of Buddy's cannoli. Whilst the plain one was awesome, the choc one left a little to be desired. Far too sweet.


There has also been shopping. Had a bit of fun at the NHL store. I won't disclose what I purchased for fear of inciting a riot (as the merch may have been from the Flyers rivals from the great state of PA...) but they did have an awesome chandelier made from hockey sticks!


Today I had a lot of fun in the candy store. The Halloween candy leaves a little to be desired. Like this one... (It REALLY looked like minced meat in the store!).


After eating that, do you feel the need to floss? Maybe with bacon? (Ewwww).


You'd need gum after that, right? (Hotdog, peanut and beer gum perhaps?).


If that gum is not to your liking there is another type...


Maybe just chocolate?


Okay, okay - maybe just a lollipop...


There has also been constant crazy roadblocks from UNGA leaders motorcades (though having Obama drive past me was pretty cool). I also managed to get caught in some filming for The Carrie Diaries on the street. The early '80s clothes and hair on the cast were giggle worthy.

Well, time to rest the tired feet so they can get back up and do it all over again tomorrow. To where I don't yet know, but the cupcake people did tell me that if I bought today's receipt back tomorrow I would get 2 for 1 - that's worth walking 15 blocks for :)



No comments:

Post a Comment