Friday, May 18, 2012

Whiskey, Guinness, fire trucks and sheep - an Irish experience

Niamh wanted me to give her a pseudonym for this post - but why protect the guilty little fire starter?

Started out in Dublin on Monday afternoon. That is to say I started out in Dublin, my luggage (yup, first luggage drama of the trip!) decided to stay in London City for a longer transit. By Tuesday morning, my luggage had arrived and I had sufficient warm clothes to go explore (might have made for a crappy birthday otherwise). Niamh wanted me to post a pic of blue sky in Dublin. This is literally the only one I have...


We wandered around the city. Have a verrrrrrry nice lunch, and then set off in search of the Jameson distillery. On the way we saw this


I wasn't so keen on a visit to the Leprechaun Museum (much to Niamh's dismay), so we powered on.


In the foyer they had a lovely chandelier made from whiskey bottles


We went in for the tour, and thanks to Niamh announcing that it was my birthday, I got included in the whiskey tasting group. Got a diploma and everything...


On Wednesday we continued with the alcoholic theme and hit the Guinness brewery


The view from the top was pretty impressive


As was the waterfall inside the brewery


Turns out they don't just make beer


So we then hit the road to head from Niamh's home town up north. Important lesson for Belinda. Northern Ireland is a different country, with different money. Many types of different money (so confused). We finally saw many of the sheep on the highway that I had seen on so many postcards (had started to think I had caught the wrong flight and was in NZ).




The biggest excitement of those days though came on Thursday afternoon. It was a little chilly, and there was a fire in the fireplace. Little did we know however that it had spread to the chimney. Turns out the gentlemen at the Northern Ireland Fire Brigade are lovely (took their shoes off in the house and everything). Thankfully the only casualty was the stove in the fireplace.


Today we headed up to the Giant's Causeway. People kept getting in my pictures...


The story goes that a giant in Ireland wanted to start a fight with one in Scotland, so he built some steps for them to cross the sea. When he saw how big the Scottish giant was he ran to his wife and hid. She dressed him as a baby to hide him. The Scottish giant saw the baby and freaked, wondering how big Dad must be and ran back to Scotland destroying the path as he went. Oh, there was also so alternate explanation about volcanoes.


The giant left his boot behind when he did a runner...




This afternoon we went to yet another whiskey distillery. Bushmills this time around.


They fill 300 bottles of whiskey per minute. The man behind me told his friend "if only we could drink it that fast...".

Back to Dublin tomorrow, and then Sunday I start to trek to Azerbaijan (via Turkey)!

No comments:

Post a Comment