Saturday, May 5, 2012

Adios Espana

Do you hear that sound? That my friends is the sound of my kidneys sighing at being released from the tour and no longer having to protect themselves from the elbows of that rude woman that was assigned the seat next to me on the bus for the last 8 days (seriously, if you are going to elbow me 29 times a day is a "sorry" every now again really too much to ask???). The fact is, I survived, and in the morning I am hopping a flight to Italy.

Have had a full few days in Barcelona. I think it is my fav city in Spain. Yesterday we had an optional trip to the home of the Barcelona Football Club. Only the Brits, Aussies and Kiwis were keen (was about to punch the next Kiwi that asked me how Australia did in the last World Cup - then remembered he was a prison guard). The stadium was huge. I understood little on the tour (it being in Spanish and all) except that everyone around me was talking endlessly about Messi (knew that word).


We got to see the silverware, Messi's bronzed boots, wander out to the field (from several vantage points, ground level, mid level and the commentary boxes). We got to wander into the opposing team dressing room, and walk out the tunnel just as the players would. Interestingly, as you walk from dressing room to the field the only possible stop on the way is the match day church.


Today was some Barcelona sightseeing. We went out to Park Guell to check out the mosaics (and try to avoid the film crew that kept getting in our photos). This place featured heavily in the movie Vicky Christina Barcelona.


We then went up Montserrat. This is where the "black Madonna" is. We thought we were going in to see the statue, but it was time for the mass for the pilgrims who had just finished their walk from Barcelona, so we got stuck in a church service instead!


The view from the monetary is pretty amazing


The monks make a special cottage cheese that is a local delicacy when you mix it with their honey. I tried it for lunch. Tasted like, well, cottage cheese and honey.




We also went and checked out the site of the 1992 Olympics. The Olympic stadium is only about half the size of the Barcelona FC football stadium. Go figure.


Two final things to note from Spain. 1) this has got to be the town with the most unfortunate spelling of it's name that I have seen for quite some time...


2) Ordering a cappuccino in Spain is interesting. It would seem after three attempts at it that they consider it to be a shot of espresso with whipped cream from a can.


Tomorrow Luftansa are taking me from Spain to Italy (via Germany, which makes for a long trip). It'll be seven days of cooking in Tuscany.

No comments:

Post a Comment