Monday, May 16, 2016

Day 1 of serenading the seas

A sign of a good holiday is to need a holiday from the holiday, and that is what this week is - a chance to relax after the crazy of Stockholm last week.

Sunday morning I flew to Copenhagen. Had a ship transfer set up through Royal to get from the airport to the ship. Whilst this process went nice and smoothly, there was one small hiccup - having to listen to a few select passengers who were complaining about the wait for the bus (15 minutes, not the end of the world). Took about 45 minutes to get to the port, and we took the scenic route through Copenhagen, so it was a nice drive. Before we knew it they had our luggage and we were lined up for check in.


Line was pretty long, but moving pretty swiftly. Only aggravation at check in was when they pulled the My Time Dining people aside and made you make a dining reservation before you could board. I had actually already done this, so I wasn't overly impressed at being made to stand in line only to be told that I was good to go.

Made it on board and the cabin was already available. Despite the freezing temps I wanted to try out the balcony.


That building down below is the cruise port. 

I'd only had three hours sleep the previous night, so used the time before muster for a quick nap in my stateroom. Luggage, for the record, ended up taking about three hours to arrive. 


Headed down to the theatre for muster.


Decided to go for a wander around the ship and get my bearings. The foyer was impressive.


Given the freezing temps there were not many people hanging by the pool except this little guy.


It was time to depart port, and it was at this point I realised we were racing, and we were not in the lead!


That's the MSC Musica trying to leave us for dust as we all departed Copenhagen. 

As it was my birthday I decided to treat myself to dinner at Izumi.


started with a hibiscus mojito, which may be one of the nicest cocktails I have ever had.


The pork gyoza was amazing.


There was also some sushi and sashimi to be had.


They even throw in come complimentary edamame. I mentioned to my lovely waitress that it happened to be my birthday, so I ended up getting a lovely surprise at the end of the meal with all the staff coming over to sing! Dessert came complete with a candle to blow out.


Then it was time for bed. 13 hours of sleep, I was clearly more tired than I thought! Sea day update to follow tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Love your review. Will be doing the 8 day Fjords followed by the TA back to Boston. Sorry to hear the WiFi is such a pain. We were hoping it was better as my hubby loves to post pictures. Will be following your adventure to see what you do in each port.

    ReplyDelete