Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Celebrity Constellation

I thought I would pop up a few pics of the ship. Yes, I know, I have been a little mean calling it the "SS Geriatric" but I have found over the past few weeks that cruise ship passengers are different to others travelers. They are less....active. Even when a shore excursion clearly says it is "strenuous" and requires walking several miles and up lots of steps people who are not so mobile still pay and sign up and then complain bitterly and ruin it for everyone else. I think that coloured my views. So, if I was to sum up what I hated the most about the past 12 days I would quote my friend Wheelo "people Belo, people...".

Anyway - happier thoughts. Here is the ship next to the Emerald Princess in port in Tallinn.


She holds 1950 passengers, and 999 crew. Here she is with the Emerald Princess side by side.


The cabin was bigger than I thought it would be, particularly given I had to take what I could get (cruise people apparently book YEARS in advance. I booked 2 months in advance, so not a lot of choice!).


On sea days you had to find ways to entertain yourself. Anyone for grand foyer staircase golf?


Or you could head to the theater. You could see anything from lectures to cooking demonstrations to the crew talent show (the latter swayed strongly between cringe and hilarious, though I still have "Tyler the latte boy" in my head when I order coffee).


The main place to eat dinner was the main dining room. They still serve snails on their cruise classic menu!


You can do a tour of the galley and see the massive kitchen operation for yourself.


They even showed us some of their skills on the tour - like fruit and veg sculpture.


The food that came out the kitchens wasn't too bad. Though there was a LOT of it. I can do a huge dinner once a week or so, but every night for 12 days had me feeling unwell. Some nights I actually felt I was being force fed. Yes, I could have stopped eating, but it would have been a huge waste of food.

I did love my toffee strawberry for dessert in the Italian themed restaurant - Tuscan Grill.


You could go for a swim, but the weather wasn't really cooperating on my cruise. Hence the ghost town on the pool deck.


I checked the newsletter each day for a game of shuffle board. It had always been a game of legend in the movies. But alas, it wasn't to be.

If all else fails. Play bingo.



No comments:

Post a Comment